Non-surgical treatment for snoring
A variety of readily available medications and non-pharmacological remedies, as well as special exercises and devices for snoring, are widely used to treat snoring. As a rule, the use of such “light” means is indicated for uncomplicated snoring. The main purpose of such exercises is to train and maintain the tone of the muscles of the pharynx and lower jaw.
There are various sets of exercises to get rid of snoring. Below is one of them:
- Push the tongue forward and down to the maximum distance, hold it for 1-2 seconds in this position. It is recommended to perform this exercise twice a day for 30 times.
- Press the chin with your hand and move the lower jaw forcefully back and forth. Perform morning and evening 30 times.
- Make the lower jaw, with the mouth ajar, 10-15 circular movements clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Clamp a pencil or wooden stick firmly with your teeth and hold for 3-4 minutes.
- Strongly tighten the root of the tongue and forcefully pull the tongue to the throat. Breathing through the nose, mouth closed. Repeat the exercise several times a day, making 15 tongue movements.
- Straining the muscles of the neck, pronounce the sounds “and”, “s”, “y” 20-25 times daily aloud.
You can also recommend yoga exercises against snoring:
- Yogi full breath. Inhale, first expanding the lower, then the middle part of the abdomen with its protrusion and the rise of the chest. With such breathing, the front wall of the abdomen rises on inhalation, and retracts on exhalation. The exercise is performed 5-6 times, the duration of exhalation gradually increases.
- Nadi Shodhana . Before going to bed, in a sitting position, alternately breathe through the nostrils – closing the right nostril with your finger, inhale with the left and vice versa. Do five rounds.
- Ujjayi . Exercise should also be done in the evening. Relax the muscles in your face and tongue. Lower your chin and slightly squeeze your larynx so that a hissing sound is heard when you breathe. Do at least five repetitions.
It is recommended to perform exercises against snoring immediately before going to bed, which will reduce the manifestations of this sound phenomenon.
Against snoring, you can also use Strelnikova’s breathing exercises. When it is performed, a short noisy breath through the nose massages the airways, strengthening the nasal passages and structures of the nasopharynx. In addition, it is necessary to train inhalation through the mouth, which is done gently, almost inaudibly, in contrast to inhalation through the nose. If at the same time you yourself do a simple massage of the neck, relaxing its muscles, this can reduce snoring.
In a set of exercises for snoring, it is recommended to include sleep in a child’s position, with the torso tilted to the knees. At the same time, it is recommended to sleep on a low comfortable pillow on your side.
The effect of exercises for the treatment of snoring appears on average after a month of regular exercise. You can perform them both separately and in various combinations.